|"mother of all blankets"|
I saw a simple granny square on Pinterest and I wanted to branch out from my normal double crochet stitch. I fell in love with the clean stitch shown in the photo. Gave it a whirl.
As I was looping away on my blanket, I looked at my center of the square and realized it would make a great star, if done in white then surrounded by blue... Right there I thought of my next blanket (which is so me, getting to the next project before the first is even done.)
So while living in a hotel room in Overland Park for 8-9 weeks, I finished all the squares for my blanket and started sewing them together. Two to three more weeks of stress later I get moved into our rental in Sioux City. My Mr. is not released from the office to his new assignment yet so I have plenty of time on my hands to work. Plus! The Summer 2012 Olympics were on, so I was content to do nothing but watch and work. Sometime between Aug and Sept I finish my blanket, considering I started in May, this was impressive to me.
|My blanket, not finished here but it is now.|
|I love the coloring in this, really it's the lighting|
I love that as I make blankets, I can also use them
to keep warm :) (my AC was cold!)
Once most of the blanket was prepped, then came the sewing. Starting with the stars, I needed to judge how big, once secured together, the star "block" was going to be to know how my stripes would come together and how long/wide I was going to make the flag.
My Mr. spent many sessions with me hem-hawing over "how does this look?", "Is this too long/long enough?", "Ugh, what if she doesn't like it?" Then I started adding the stripes, AND THEY DIDN'T MATCH UP! :( Oy, talk about stress! My May 2013 deadline was fast approaching. Early April I take my blanket to Olathe for one of my best friend's to tell me EXACTLY how I can salvage what I had done: Not Used A Pattern.
Her advice: Put 8 stripes at the stars and only 5 below. (Correct would be 7 up and 6 down.)
It wasn't what I wanted to hear, my Mr. wasn't impressed either. Then it came down to: It-Just-Needed-To-Be-Done.. So I proceeded. Leaving a little section (one double crochet width) on the left edge, and a full blue granny square at the top. My solution, was to wrap the whole blanket in a blue granny square. I did 4 rows at the top to fill in the space and one at the left edge, then 1 around the whole blanket. This stitch secures all the sewing done bewteen the squares.
I wish I had a photo of the two of us with it. My favorite story is that she was telling my brother-in-law about how I made this beautiful flag blanket. She had no idea it was for her :)
The rest are various shots I took of the finished product.
| These little piggies needed to be fed, always at what seemed like the worst timing.|
They are pretty relentless and were in my face until I got up and fed them :)